Submissions for Volume 4 (2012) are due: April 2, 2012
Centers for Teaching and Learning (CTLs) and similarly named organizations (Centers for Teaching Excellence, Centers for Professional Development, Faculty Centers, etc.) in colleges and universities generate initiatives to encourage educational development. Focusing on the operations, achievements, and potentials of CTLs, the Journal on Centers for Teaching and Learning (JCTL) seeks articles in any form (narrative, empirical studies, institutional critiques, and others) that highlight the roles CTLs serve and can serve in higher education.
An annual, peer-reviewed journal sponsored jointly by Miami University’s Center for the Enhancement of Learning, Teaching, & University Assessment and Miami University Middletown’s Center for Teaching and Learning, JCTL considers submissions that:
- highlight, analyze, and document the role of CTLs in fostering enhanced student learning;
- theorize ways CTLs might help faculty develop scholarly intersections amongst their teaching, research, and service agendas;
- debate the degree to which CTLs might serve as political entities on campus—proposing changes in workload or grading policies, for instance;
- theorize the function of CTLs’ material spaces and ways to utilize their location on campus to best influence pedagogical practices;
- exchange stories about their centers’ origination and governance;
- discuss creative ways of conducting the “everyday” business of CTLs—awarding facultyprizes, disseminating grant monies, selecting directors, making attempts to involve non- participating faculty and staff, maintaining a website and publishing newsletters, advertising events;
- consider means for involving students in CTL functions;
- explore the best methods of assessing the impact of CTL initiatives and conveying their success to campus administrators;
- consider ways particular CTLs might extend beyond campus borders to involve area schools and other community sites in the development of teaching and learning innovations;
- suggest ways CTLs might help explicate pedagogical innovations to the public;
- articulate other issues concerning the role of CTLs.
In short, JCTL provides a space for those involved with teaching and learning centers to constitute a Scholarship of Educational Development that helps them share ideas on how to create and maintain pedagogical innovations at and beyond their respective campuses.
To see abstracts of all articles, submit a manuscript, or subscribe, go to: www.muohio.edu/jctl .